> Reading Comprehension
Freak the Mighty > Chapter 3
Freak the Mighty, Chapter Three
Chapter Three: American Flyer
1. Learning Log
A. Give this chapter a new title. Consider what happened
and the feelings of the chapter.
B. Setting: Identify the setting of the chapter.
place (where important things happened, or the two locations
for this chapter) ______________________________________
C. In one or two sentences, summarize what happens in this
chapter, or draw an important scene from it. D. Questions:
Max meets several people in this chapter. Ask two questions
about these characters or what they will have to do with Max.
A. What are four kinds of conflicts?
B. When Max goes outside again, Freak is having another
conflict. What is the conflict? What kind of conflict is it?
3. Vocabulary Review:
Continue to review and use the "un" words you've been learning.
Complete the sentences that follow with words from the word
list above it.
- Max's grandparents are always afraid he will become __________________________
and cause trouble.
- At first, Freak was ___________________________________
of Max, who was watching him from behind the fence.
- To Freak, leaving the paper thing in the tree was just
_________________________. He was going to find a way to
get it down.
- Freak was determined to find a way to get the paper thing
down from the tree. Thanks to Max, he was ___________________.
- Max had to be careful with the paper thing because it
was not ________________________.
- Max was _______________________ when he gave the paper
thing back to Freak carefully.
CHARACTER ANALYSIS: MATCH THE CHARACTER AND THE CHARACTERISTIC?
A characteristic is used to describe a character.
For each characteristic, write the name of the characters
(Max or Freak) that have that characteristic.
- Doesn't live with brothers or sisters: Max and Freak
- LIves with his grandparents: Max
- Can't walk or run well Freak
- Likes to use big words _____________________________________
- Thinks he is stupid_____________________________________
- Doesn't have many friends_____________________________________
- Likes computers and books_____________________________________
- Ran away when he got confused._____________________________________
- Went to day care_____________________________________